PRESS RELEASE — Monday, October 29, 2012
For information contact: Bob Evancho at 373-7369
Anne Peterson at 373-7368
Nov. 2 DIALOGUE Discusses ‘Media, Ethics and the Election’
— Airs November 2 (Friday) at 8:00 p.m. MT/PT
— Repeats November 4 (Sunday) at 10:30/9:30 a.m. MT/PT
On this week’s DIALOGUE, host Marcia Franklin talks with media expert Kelly McBride about Media, Ethics and the Election.
McBride, a senior faculty member at the Poynter Institute, will discuss the changes in the delivery of election news, and both the advantages and ethical issues those new platforms can pose. Based in St. Petersburg, Florida, the Poynter Institute is a national training center for journalists, educators, media leaders and citizens; its staff also studies media trends.
McBride and Franklin will discuss the rise in what McBride terms the “fifth estate,” journalists and citizens using new media such as Twitter, blogs, memes and YouTube to disseminate information about the election. According to McBride, as a result of opinion-driven sites, “neutrality,” a standard for American media, is eroding. At the same time, she notes a rise in the popularity of fact-checking sites, including new mobile applications.
The two will also discuss how traditional “fourth estate” media are collaborating with new media, whether journalists should “friend” sources on Facebook, the ethical issues surrounding political advertising on television, and whether media entities should have social media policies.
View or listen to DIALOGUE episodes in a variety of formats:
- Over-the-air high-definition broadcast on the Idaho channel airs Fridays at 8:00 p.m. MT/PT, with repeats Sundays at 10:30/9:30 a.m. MT/PT. To find local channel information for over-the-air broadcast, cable or satellite go to: idahoptv.org/about/wheretofind.cfm.
- Standard-definition over-the-air broadcasts air on Plus and World channels throughout the week, days and evenings, times vary. Plus is available through some cable companies; consult local suppliers.
- Video streaming is available through IdahoPTV’s video player that also features national PBS shows (video.idahoptv.org). The DIALOGUE web page (idahoptv.org/dialogue) also offers a library of videos through a flash player.
- PBS app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch is available free from iTunes; choose "Programs" and scroll to DIALOGUE.
- PBS app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch is available free from iTunes; choose “Programs” (the symbol resembles a deck of cards) and scroll to DIALOGUE.
- Video download from http://video.idahoptv.org; ultra-high bandwidth required.
- Podcasts (MP3, audio-only; and MP4, audio-video for Macintosh and iTunes users) are available for download from idahoptv.org/dialogue.
- NPR News 91 audio-only airs in Southwest Idaho. Sundays, at 11:30 a.m. MT.